Thursday, March 16, 2017

DJ Drew




                                   Dj Drew




Interview: 
 1. Where are from originally, and where do you live now?
 I am originally from Chico California and now live in Asheville NC.

 2. What equipment did you use when you first started playing and what do you use today?
 I started playing on Technic 1200's, but now I play on a pioneer controller and pioneer cdjs when they are available.

 3.What Is your style of Playing and where did it Originate?
 I am very old school coming from vinyl and 2 turntables. My style features lots of long mixes, scratching and slapping the fader - very technical and a lot of flare. I play a wide Range of genres like Breaks, house, club music, hip hop, top 40, old school, Trap and of course Jungle & DNB. I was influenced from watching some of my favorite djs. The first one i remember was Dave Brown (aka Wedge) who was one of the best house djs I have ever met. The other was Bryan Aka Spyker back in California. These were the people I looked up to. I guess I can say their styles helped mold me into the dj I am today.

 4. What got you into the sound of Jungle and DNB? 
When I was first introduced to the dance music scene, most of the djs I saw were playing house, breaks and trance. There were only a couple of guys playing DNB, so there wasn't much demand for that particular genre. I always loved the sound that it had I have a real bond with it. The first thing I learned how to beatmatch was jungle. Back when I started playing records, house and breaks was my original style but also started playing jungle and drum n bass. My Style grew through out the years and evolved into Hip Hop and scratching and later landed me playing in a few bands scratching but I've always kept jungle music close to me. I've been collecting jungle records throughout my career. Jungle is now my main focus over all other genres. When most of my friends back in CA are playing trap and dubstep I never stopped playing DNB. That was my style and still is my style-- I am a true junglist through and through.

 5. How did you come up with your current alias?
Soundboy Killer is a reference to the reggae and dub scene where DJs are called soundboys. I'm coming in and killing all the soundboys with my dub collection. So you better watch out when I come to your town!

 6. When people talk about Asheville and Jungle, your name always ends up in the conversation. What do you attribute to your ability to stand out?
 My style of jungle is reggae based and compared to what other people play here in Asheville, it's on the lighter side. A lot of people here are playing hard jungle, and some of it is really dark. Some people turn their nose up to that. It's too intense and it pushes them away. I think my music is lighter, so it reaches more of an audience and draws them into me. But then again there is a small group that are dedicated to DNB they are a group called the ADBC, Asheville Drum And Bass Collective. That is where I met more DNB enthusiasts like myself.

7. What is your view on the past 15 years of DNB and where it's going in the future?
 Jungle is my main focus now, but since I've always been playing such a wide range of genres. I don't have the deepest knowledge of the history of DNB and jungle. I know all the classics but I am more interested in what's happening today and in the future. DNB today sounds way better than what they played back in the day, and jungle is huge. I think the future is only looking bigger and better for DNB.

 8. What is your biggest inspiration? 
 My children and My Family

 9. What can we expect from You in the future?
 More diverse music and more mixes to come.

 10. Where will you be performing next?
At the Ridge Room (connected to the Sol Bar) 3/17-- Sol Vibes, THe Undergrowth, ABDC & EZ Productions are putting on a St. Patrick's Day event. It's a DnB showcase and multi-genre show- Dave Owen, Jaybee, and Random Movement are also playing. There's going to be 2 floors of DJs-- come on down!

Exclusive Bassline Syndicate Mix!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3evm7vxar6cbzp7/Soundboy%20Killer-Dj%20Drew.mp3?dl=0


Soundcloud Link:
https://soundcloud.com/djdrew1380

Facebook Link:
https://www.facebook.com/andrew.kirk.98499

House-mixes Link:
https://www.house-mixes.com/profile/DjDrew1380

No comments:

Post a Comment