Monday, May 29, 2017

Rough Culture









Interview:
- First of all, welcome to the label. We are happy to have you on board.
Your music definitely exudes a high level of emotion. How would you
describe your sound?

Thanks, great to be here! Well I’d say I make dancefloor drum & bass with a soul! For me three things make a great track - something to hook you - be that a melody/killer b-line or whatever, clever arrangement/production and some originality. I aim for all three but it’s not always easy!


- From where do you gain the greatest inspiration?

I’m massively inspired by DJ and producer friends of mine; one of my best mates is known as “Selectabwoy” on Soundcloud and he has a series of eclectic mixes where he deconstructs old jungle records using the original sample sources and puts them back together in some very clever ways - it’s pretty special.


- What equipment and software do you utilize for production?

I was a die-hard Cubase man for many years but now I use Ableton Live and I love it - I have a bunch of synths and plug ins, some of my favorites are the ones Korg make - the iKaossilator for I-pad is brilliant, I wish they’d bring out a new version!


- As an artist, what has been your most memorable event?

Playing at the Full Moon Party in Thailand in front of an enormous crowd on the beach is up there but there are loads - one time in a small club a DJ friend of mine dropped one of my tracks to a room of bored looking people and everyone was like “yeah, what’s this??” and piled onto the dancefloor - that’s a great memory.


- Where do you see Drum N Bass in the next 5 years?

I imagine it will fragment into ever more niche sub genres but hopefully certain producers will be able to cut through all that and just keep making what sounds good!


- How did you come up with the name Rough Culture?

I’ve gone under several different monikers in the past, this being the latest. As for a meaning, well there are several possible interpretations so I’ll leave it to people to make their own :-)


- Who would you say has been the biggest influence so far?

I grew up listening to Roni Size, Krust and the Full Cycle guys in my home town of Bristol and they were really pushing the boundaries with everything they were doing - hearing that music is and was always incredibly exciting and still really inspires me.


- Where can we see you next?

I spend a lot of time in China and I’ll be playing at a place called Prison bar in Wuhan next month which I’m excited about. My friend Johnny the promoter is a great DJ - he’s bringing drum & bass culture to the Chinese masses!


- Shout outs and Thank yous?

Yeah big up all my UK, US and Asia drum & bass crew, everyone keeping it real and working hard at what they do! Peace.

Be sure to follow Rough Culture via:

No comments:

Post a Comment