Friday, September 16, 2016

Damage Report

Interview
How did you come up with the name “Damage Report”?
      I came up with my stage name about 4 years ago. Before I was under the name Dj Sqeak. When I got into producing, I wanted something a bit more meaningful.... I liked damage report as I thought it was different.

What got you into Drum N Bass?
                As in my bio, it says when I was younger I used to steal my sisters tapes and listen to them. When she was out, I found one tape with Ellis Dee and another DJ. They played hardcore, but there was this one tune, I think it was sweet harmony (Liquid - SweetHarmony from XL Recordings). It had like a weird beat and at the time I didn't Know, but it was an amen. That was the start of trying find more music like that one tune. That’s when I first started my love for DNB.


What direction do you see your music going?
                I'm heading in the right direction now, but I want to be better at mixing down and loads of other things. I don't think there will be any time I'm 100% happy with anything I make. I intend to leave that to others to tell me if it’s good or not. Lol
What is your opinion on the current state of the Drum N Bass/Jungle scene worldwide?
                Wow ok! Current state; Well, it could be better, but it also could be a lot worse. There’s more and more people wanting to make music and that's had an effect on tunes having shelf life. By this I mean a good tune is not a good tune for long before another good tune replaces it. There are of course stand out tunes by the likes of hazard and DJ guv, but there's so much not good music. One example is after listening to my feed on sound cloud there's so many people trying sound like other people. There seems to be a lot of new producers not trying their own thing. Nothing wrong in copying to learn how things are done, but to try and be like a well-established producer. For me that's not what making dnb is about.
Which equipment and/or software have you come to work with?
                For producing, I have a PC and a Mac because they both run different versions and software I want to use. I have made a few tunes in logic recently and still trying get my head around it, but most my music is made on the PC with Presonus Studio One. All my bass and synths are VST's.
What is your biggest inspiration?
                My biggest inspiration is people telling me I'm not good enough to make it.  That really gets my fire burning. It’s happened a few times and I really do want them to eat their own words. Ha-ha! Other than that, I want to always be better and try and improve on my next batch of tunes
Where will you be performing next?

                Next I'm performing in a club local to me on 17th September, 2016 (Ikon:ik) It's a charity event for a young guy who sadly lost his life after an motor bike accident he was a fellow DJ so it's about getting together and making a night of it for him so RIP ikon!!


Biography


   I first started listening to jungle back in 1997!! Ever since stealing my sister’s cassette tape the moment I first heard jungle I fell in love with the music. I even remember the tape it was Dr S Gachet b2b Ellis Dee from then on I wanted to be a DJ. 
   To name one certain person who inspired me would be wrong to name a few the likes of Nicky Blackmarket, Kenny Ken, DJ Hype & Dj Brockie also MC',s Like MC Fearless, DET, Skibbaa Dee, Eksman and Shabba D. My favorite artists at the moment has to be Hazard, Pleasure, Guv, Ivy lab. They all Producing some awesome music and sure will do so for the future.
   The main style is trying to devolve my OWN Style I don't like to be trying to copy any one. I try and make music that I like and has feeling and soul which a lot of music doesn’t have now. My style of drum a bass would be dark, minimal, jump up kind of all rolled into one.
   A good way to describe my style would be thinking outside the box if I make a certain sound. I try and build upon that into something that people would like to hear or even to dance too and for DJ's to want to play.
Notable achievements: 
   I have been lucky enough to have releases this year on Playaz, New playaz, Higher Stakes,G13 and HighR8 digital to name a few. I'm always aiming to be better than I was say 6 months ago.
   I have been Lucky enough to Dj alongside some top DJ's like Original sin, Taxman, Guv, Groove Rider, Dj Sly, Pacso, so I have been blessed really. Moving on to this year I'm starting to get bookings all over the UK from my home town to 300 miles away in Kettering! Also there is a few European bookings too, with me. Looking to be going to Belgium loads of times this year already plus France and German looking possible very soon.

Latest Releases



Find more from Damage Report by liking and following:




No comments:

Post a Comment