Monday, August 29, 2016

Artist Spotlight: Army Girl




   Join us in welcoming Army Girl to the Bassline Syndicate Family. At 27 years old with, Army Girl has 14 years in the music scene; with a very vast range in music selection. One day she could be on a Classical movement; than next deep, dark, juicy Drum N`Bass. 



What got you into DNB?

Answer: I remember when I was about 12 years old; and where I lived we did not really have access to a  lot of radio stations and satellite TV`s were not so available as they are today.  I remember one evening I could not sleep I took my radio and sat out on my back porch overlooking the Grand River; I heard this beat; unlike the others and it got me moving; I could feel it coursing through my veins.  I did not know it yet but I had been bitten with the break beat bug.  As soon as I began high school I knew I was the odd one out; I listened to break beat and jungle and heavy metal (odd combination I know).  Carrying around this boombox my parents had bought me which needed 8 DD batteries. Finally after all the fuss I made my way to Toronto one weekend told my parents we were going to a concert and went to my first rave.  I wandered around the rooms but once I found the Jungle and Drum N Bass room I had found my home. From than I have continued my love and dedication for DNB to the point of getting ``Junglist`` tattooed on my back.

What got you into DeeJaying and playing on Radio?

Answer: To be honest I don`t remember what initially started my curiosity of djing but I was at events 2-3 times a week every weekend. I have been doing about 2 shows a weekend on average for the last almost 15 years.  I figured I was sick of being just a basement dj and wanted to show my new gained skills to my friends who were talented.  So I got involved with a radio station and had a time slot of Thursdays from 4-6 pm EST every week for about 3 years and that is apart of how I got involved in djing more frequently or in some cases helping to take care of someones show in their absence.  It really was great practice every week and it pushed me even harder to challenge myself with my music more. 

What is your opinion on the current state of the Canadian DNB scene?

Answer: This reply will be a bit longer; I apologize but passion kick starts here. 

Over the years I have seen such changes in the scene.... good and bad. I have seen our community (as underground as everyone calls it) come and be much more openly accepted in today`s society due to the EDM scene.   The music is not just reaching some of the countries biggest venues and festivals but every year we get new people and new sounds.   Our music is vastly joining the regular world in things such as video games; and television series, etc.  Our scene is just as strong; yeah it as its flaws as nothing is perfect.  Some fighting to keep the scene alive and hungry for more is the challenging part; as we all know that hiring an international DJ has its costs.  

I feel that Alberta has it going on personally; Shambala as well as other big event`s the 403 DNB crew throws.  I have heard nothing but positive feedback from our West in respects to the DNB scene and look forward to experiencing it one day for myself.

Toronto is big as well; and definitely has some serious crews bringing in some serious players.  Destiny has been around for over 20 years and has always been known to throw some absolutely amazing parties. One of their parties was one of my first and was the first time I had seen Aphrodite that was a blessing in itself.  You also have to think of the other players like Syrous and even local people around me such as Peaceful Entertainment as well as Souljah Sessions. 

Locally im proud that we maintain a weekly DNB night; not having to travel to Toronto every weekend had its toll; and expenses. Thankfully im blessed to support my local community and keep the DNB scene alive and welcoming to all the new faces were going to be receiving once they hear that beautiful hum of a bass line. 

Where do you see Drum N Bass going in the future?

Answer:  For the future of Drum N Bass I see a lot of progression.  I see a lot more creativity especially with all the new production equipment available; as well as all the new sounds all the older producers such as Aphrodite is trying to combine with their old sound.  The creativity level and options for Drum N Bass is impeccable; and I look forward to whatever new comes out tomorrow as well as the next day and the next.  The future of Drum N Bass will thrive and I look forward to being apart of it every step of the way until I can no longer hear or feel bass. 



Follow Army Girl DJ On:


    Facebook    |    Sound FM    |    JessykaG Photography    |    Instagram    |    Twitter    |    MixCloud    


No comments:

Post a Comment